David Mellor’s iconic ‘Pride’ cutlery was designed in 1953 while Mellor was still a student at the Royal College of Art and has been in continuous production ever since.
Included in the very first Design Centre Awards in 1957 it is on display in numerous collections around the world as a prime example of 20th century modernist design and remains one of our most popular ranges.
Now an acknowledged modern classic, the gently tapered hollow knife handles, delicate curves and refined proportions give ‘Pride’ its exceptional beauty and understated elegance.
The simplicity of form and flawless mirror polish finish of ‘Pride’ creates a supremely elegant table setting, leading it to be used in many prestige restaurants and hotels all over the world.
Originally made in silver plate, Pride is now also available in stainless steel.
Knife blades are made from high carbon stainless steel for a superior cutting edge.
David Mellor Design operates on the simple principle that well designed tableware is a vital part of any interior. The company was set up by David Mellor, Royal Designer for Industry, in the 1950s. The first and now famous David Mellor shop opened in Sloane Square, London, in 1969 and soon became a focal point of Swinging Sixties Chelsea and remains one of London’s most original and individual shops. We run our own design office within the company and so the David Mellor collection is constantly evolving. Many of our products are designed by Corin Mellor, Creative Director, exclusively for the David Mellor shops and are produced by specially selected workshop producers and manufacturers. David Mellor now holds one of the most impressive collections of the finest British Crafts and sophisticated modern tableware and kitchenware, including the world famous David Mellor Cutlery, to be found on the international scene.
David Mellor was one of the great 20th century designers with an international reputation for his cutlery. He was born in Sheffield and trained originally as a silversmith. Examples of his metalwork are in museum collections as over the world. David Mellor established his first workshop in 1973 before moving production to his purpose-built factory, The Round Building in Hathersage, Derbyshire, in 1990. He has drawn on Sheffield traditions of craftsmanship in evolving a product altogether of our time.