Design Museum Café
The Design Museum Café is a beautiful, unusual environment for relaxation and discussion. The 42-seat café faces out towards Michael Hopkins's Round Building and in summer the doors slide open to provide extra seating on the terrace. Designed by Corin Mellor the café is itself a fine example of informal modern dining style, equipped with the best David Mellor tableware.
The café serves delicious lunches from 10am until 3pm using mainly local produce. We also serve specialist teas, coffee and an irresistible selection of home-made cakes from 10am until last service at 4:30pm. The menu changes daily according to the season.
We recommend that you call 01433 650220 (option 3) to book a table if you plan to visit during busy times such as at lunch time and weekends.
If you plan to visit as a group of more than five people please call us to discuss this beforehand to avoid disappointment or delay. There are a limited number of tables and whilst we will attempt to accommodate larger groups, this is not always possible.
Our selection of sandwiches are made fresh, in-house and are served on either a traditional Italian ciabatta, sliced granary loaf or deli rye from the award winning Welbeck Bakehouse. They include a light side salad with a honey mustard vinaigrette:
- Spiced chicken, mango chutney, rocket and tomato.
- Mozzarella, sun-dried tomato, basil pesto and rocket.
- Spicy hummus, halloumi, roasted red pepper and leaf with mint yoghurt.
- Ham and cheddar with onion chutney.
- Poached pear and stilton with rocket.
Today’s freshly prepared quiche served warm with a side salad of fine beans, cherry tomatoes, mustard dressing and rich, spicy potato salad.
Today’s freshly prepared soup with hearty olive focaccia.
- Halloumi salad: Grilled halloumi with roasted vegetables and mint yoghurt on a bed of mixed leaf.
- Tricolour: Torn buffalo mozzarella, a mix of sun dried and fresh tomatoes, and leaf dressed with basil oil.
- Chicken salad: Chicken roasted with lemon and thyme stilton, toasted walnuts, and finished with thyme oil.
- Freshly made Vienoisserie, croissant or pain au chocolat.
- Gluten free granola with yoghurt and jam.
- Toasted Lardy bread with butter.
- Shortbread biscuits.
- A duo of mini scones with clotted cream and jam.
- Cakes of the day (at least one will be gluten free).
- Ice cream, made in Sheffield by Yee Kwan.