Design Museum Café
The Design Museum Café is a beautiful, unusual environment for relaxation and discussion. The 42-seat café faces out towards Michael Hopkins's Round Building and in summer the doors slide open to provide extra seating on the terrace. Designed by Corin Mellor the café is itself a fine example of informal modern dining style, equipped with the best David Mellor tableware.
The café serves delicious lunches from 10am until 3pm using mainly local produce. We also serve specialist teas, coffee and an irresistible selection of home-made cakes from 10am until last service at 4:30pm. The menu changes daily according to the season.
We recommend that you call 01433 650220 (option 3) to book a table if you plan to visit during busy times such as at lunch time and weekends.
If you plan to visit as a group of more than five people please call us to discuss this beforehand to avoid disappointment or delay. There are a limited number of tables and whilst we will attempt to accommodate larger groups, this is not always possible.
Current food menu
Our selection of sandwiches are made fresh, in-house and are served on either a traditional Italian ciabatta, sliced granary loaf or deli rye from the award winning Welbeck Bakehouse. They include a light side salad with a honey mustard vinaigrette:
- Chicken, roasted with thyme and lemon, served with warm stuffing and cranberry sauce.
- Bacon, Stilton and apple sauce.
- Halloumi, sun-dried tomato hummus, and roast red pepper with mint yoghurt.
- Sliced ham and Cheddar cheese with onion marmalade.
- Bacon, Brie and cranberry sauce.
Freshly prepared individual quiche, served warm with a salad dressed with honey mustard vinaigrette, cherry tomatoes and a slaw of orange and beetroot.
Today’s freshly prepared soup with hearty olive focaccia.
Made fresh with seasonal ingredients and accompanied by a side of sliced deli rye.
- Grilled halloumi with roasted vegetables and mint yoghurt on a bed of mixed leaf.
- Chicken, roasted with lemon and thyme, Stilton cheese, toasted walnuts, poached pear with thyme oil on a bed of mixed leaf.
- Chickpeas, roasted with beetroot and cashew hummus with a lime dressing on a bed of mixed leaf.
- Butternut squash roasted with sage, sweet blackened sherry vinegar onions, goats cheese dressed with honey mustard vinaigrette on mixed leaf.
- Toasted Lardy bread with butter.
- Shortbread biscuits.
- A duo of mini scones with clotted cream and jam.
- Cakes of the day (at least one will be gluten free).
- Ice cream, made in Sheffield by Yee Kwan.